Friday 7 December 2012

Analysis of Questionaire

From my results I collected I gathered a rough idea of what different ages and genders wanted in a music video, what they like as well as what they dislike as well. From the variation of questions asked not all responses would be accurate enough to collect the exact data, obvious reasons being that the mediums I promoted the questionnaire upon were to a typical audience of sort (piers of my own age) felt the need to comment in a immature manner. The result of this meant that when considering if the whole questionnaire was successful? Then yes it was, it gave me results quickly and was easy to advertise and promote, but the mediums it was used to do these (social networking sites such as facebook and twitter) meant that I had no control on who could see it, therefore reconsidering this maybe the case. Because of how big the Internet is and how many users use it, choosing an on line survey means I get the results quickly and fast using contemporary and modern day mediums to collect the data. Here are the results of the questionnaire analysed to create a brief outcome and understanding of what the domain of music videos is.

1. How old are you?


From this question I can gather what audience is the most likely to view to the music video which would create more profit. By advertising it through social networking sites it was obvious what age group use the Internet the most and therefore I will aim it at them. The results also show a equal amount of votes from both 13-16 as well as 20-25 so should consider a age range which could also be suitable for these ages. Therefore coming to a conclusion of teenagers being the target audience I will use more research into what this audience want from the other questions. I also found that 25+ are the least likely to use social networking sites and are less likely to purchase an album or song, so for profitable purposes I will choose not to use them as my target audience.


2. What is your gender?

I asked a even amount of male and female applicants in order to gather a more accurate result therefore my target audience is both genders as I believe the artist I will choose will appeal to both as well as meaning it would sell to both genders. This means there is no bias to either gender as well.


3. What type of music video do you prefer?


From my results you can clearly see that the majority have voted for a serious music video. I believe this is down to a more appealing and more structured video appeals to a wider audience. As well as the idea of parody music videos haven't been as popular as some before in previous years. Also the seriousness of my questionnaire could affect the results. From my feedback I will create a serious video which will fit the specification I will make from the collection of results. 


4. Do you prefer abstract videos or ones that go with the lyrics?

From this question I can collect results which will decide what the content of the music video will be about. Its clear that the majority want a abstract music video which is what I will do for the majority of the music video, but because obviously there was a few people that voted for a music video which goes with the lyrics so therefore I will contain maybe in the chorus' something relative to the lyrics.


5. What type of editing transition do you like?

We can see that the two most popular answers are both fading in/out and jump cuts which means to say that I will base the majority of transitions upon these two. Although the jump cut option is more popular there is only 3 peoples votes between them therefore I will use both techniques as they are popular, also this appeals with the 'both' option as well. However I found that my audience didn't think that the 'dissolve' option was very suitable, being called 'cringe' and 'old fashioned' by one of my piers this may be why it wasn't so popular. 


6. Whats interesting in a music video in your own opinion?

This being a optional question along with being able to write your own opinion rather than taking a multiple choice question route enabled me to get some diverse and different responses which will all individually help me make my video in some way or another. The word 'captivating' and 'eye-catching' were the most common words used to describe an interesting music video and I wanted to know how I was able to achieve this. Majority of the people which replied with this said it was down to the content in the video itself and how it tells a 'story' throughout, examples were given such as Michael Jackson's Thriller video. Along with diverse colours and eye catching scenes and keeping it up beat allowed me to come to a conclusion of how to achieve an interesting music video from the results I had collected. 


7. What genre do you prefer?



Within this question I found this was one of the collection of results which were the most close together and was hard to decide on a genre which would appeal to the majority of votes. We can see clearly Pop, Indie and Alternative were the most popular and I believe this is down to the ages which choose to do the survey. Im not surprised by the fact these 3 are the most popular due to what type of music is in the charts at the moment such as Ben Howard, Ed Sheeran, Emeli Sande and Florence & the Machine. These artists represent all 3 of these genres themselves which is something I should consider when choosing my artist. I was actually surprised by how little votes 'Rap' got because I thought it was very current and modern - but obviously not. 


8. Whats your favourite music video and why?

Again this question not being multiple choice aloud my audience to give there own individual opinion on what they liked. Answers included Rihanna and Eminem's Love the Way you Lie because it had a story behind it, and keeps up to date with current music. Where as other answers included Jessie J's Who You Are, as the simplicity of the video allows you to focus on the lyrics, vocals and Jessie J herself. And lastly one of other answer was Michael Jacksons Black & White as the editing transitions were truly amazing and allowed you to be drawn in by the captivating editing. 


9. Whats your least favourite music video and why?

With this question I struggled finding results which were clear as maybe I didn't make the question clear enough. The responses from the participants included more or less reasons for why they didn't enjoy the song and didn't say much about the music video itself - an example would be Psy's Gangnam Style as they said it was annoying and irritating. However I did collect some results which were accurate and helped me such as Rihanna's Te Amo how it was too explicit and how the darkness and bad editing really made it look like a cheap production. Also Little Mix's Wings was brought up twice, and although a current song and achieving a number 1 they said the video editing and transitions were terrible and looked again tacky and cheap. Which means although the song itself could be good, the video itself could ruin it which is something i myself needs to consider. 



10. When considering music video history, who's music video stands out the most to you?



When collecting the data and creating this graph, I was very surprised by the variation of results as I thought there would be a clear favourite but obviously not. I believe this down to the variation of age categories and genders taken place. All I can gather from this question is taking parts of each of these videos e.g. The XX's Islands - the abstract visuals where as in Michael Jacksons Thriller using the idea of having a story throughout is something I could use in my own as well. 


No comments:

Post a Comment